Vitamin B12, also called cobalamin, is a water-soluble vitamin that is involved in the metabolism of every cell of the human body. So, let’s talk more about the importance of this vitamin and let’s find out more about the benefits of B12, symptoms of deficiency and its risk factors.
What are the benefits of Vitamin B12 injections?
- Increases Energy & Stamina by converting carbohydrates into glucose in the body
- Helps weight loss & higher metabolism
- Helps in getting better sleep
- Balances the immune system
- Helps in healthy regulation of the nervous system reducing depression, stress and brain shrinkage
- Vitamin B12 is essential for healthy skin hair and nails. It helps in cell reproduction and the constant renewal of the skin
- Helps in red blood cell formation
- Fights heart diseases
- Improves memory
Who should take Vitamin B12?
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Impaired absorption due to a loss of gastric intrinsic factor which is from certain intrinsic disorders
- Who takes long term antacid therapy (PPI, H2 blockers)
- Neuropathy, pernicious anemia
- Deficiency is more likely after age 60 and increasing in incidences with advancing age
- Folate deficiency
What are the symptoms of deficiency of Vitamin B12?
At levels only slightly lower than normal can cause:
- poor memory
- pale skin
- paraesthesia (“pins & needles”)
- feeling faint
- mouth ulcers, sore, swollen tongue
What are the risk factors for Vitamin B12 deficiency?
- Alcohol abuse
- Long-term usage of antacids, some type 2 diabetes drugs
- Having an endocrine-related autoimmune disorder such as diabetes or thyroid disorders
- Eating a vegetarian or vegan diet
- Certain gastrointestinal disorders, such as Crohn’s disease
- Gastric bypass or the removal of parts of the stomach
Why Vitamin B12 injection is better than oral intake (tablets)?
B12 shots bypass the stomach and are absorbed directly into the bloodstreams. Therefore, they are a better option than oral supplements for those who have gastrointestinal issues, including older adults who have low levels of stomach and/or intrinsic factor, alcoholics.